Skip to main content

American Scenes: Boston, 2000

 

Boylston Street, Boston, in 1911 (Wikimedia Commons)
The image shows Boylston Street in Boston, Massachussetts, in 1911. I stayed on this street in the year 2000, as I was passing through on the way to an artist's residency in Vermont. The vehicles and styles of clothing that you saw then, and now, are different, but the buildings are the same as when I stayed there.

I flew in to Boston on Friday, August 25th. I know this because momentous things happened to me in the weeks after that date (and also because I verified the dates via  Google search). The thigns I remember:

  • The glitter of the sun on the Atlantic Ocean as the plane from London wheeled and flew parallel to the shore before descending into Logan Airport.

  • The heat when I stepped out of the taxi on Boylston Street, a main thoroughfare in Boston's Back Bay district where I'd booked a room for the night.

  • The building where the b&b was located: terratotta coloured stone facade, windows eight feet high, stone steps leading up to an arched entryway, a small room on the second floor with a stained glass window.

  • Walking along Boylston Street at about 7pm to find somewhere to eat. All of the bars and restaurants filling up with people as they began their weekend relaxation. 

  • The Irish accents of the servers at the bar where I had a meal and a beer.

  • The impressive building on the corner of a street at the other end of Boylston, which I later found out was the music academy.

  • The bright low morning sun when I rose at 6 am on Saturday, August 26th, to pull my huge suitcase to the bus station. Slanting copper light on the street surface and burnt umber shadows cutting diagonal shapes across buildings and intersections.

In later years, I would return to Boston several times and spend days there, visiting the historic sites and museums. But on that first short visit, it took less than twenty-four hours for me to feel comfortable in this city with its historic connections to Europe and to the early centuries of the American colonies and republic.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d