Skip to main content

Six of the Best: Part 18

When I discovered the work of artist Shu-Ju Wang (from Portland, Oregon) on Google Plus, I thought: wow, I would really love to hear her talk about her art. So I asked her, and she said yes. Don't forget to go to her website when you've read this so you can see more of her beautiful prints and artist's books.


Bamboo Mountain, Potato Hill 2012 Gouache & acrylic on paper, mounted on birch panels 12"x24


Philip Hartigan: What medium/media do you chiefly use, and why?

Shu-Ju Wang: I work mainly with gouache on paper. In the last couple of years, I've been mounting the paper on boards and finishing the pieces with acrylic so that they can hang without glass.

I find gouache to be an incredibly versatile medium -- it's reworkable and can be mixed to be more transparent or more opaque. It's also important to me that I don't use toxic cleaners or create plastic waste (unused, dried up acrylic paint). The historic aspect of the medium also plays into my work, as I'm very influenced by Medieval manuscripts, East Asian, Central Asian, Mughal and Islamic art, and gouache is the medium used. Formulation might have changed over the years, but the basic idea of 'opaque watercolor' remains.

PH: What piece are you currently working on?

SJW: I'm working on a series of diptychs called Red Bean Paste & Apple Pie. It's part of a series of projects about immigration that address public & private issues of immigration. 



Snack Attack! 2012 Gouache & acrylic on paper, mounted on birch panels 12"x24"


PH: What creative surprises are happening in the current work? 

SJW: The most recent surprise is that I can physically hurt myself by painting. I injured my painting hand due to the long hours and continuous days of painting. So now I have instituted some routines that will prevent that from happening again. As for creative surprises, there are little ones and big ones. Little ones -- finding different color combinations that work so well, and why hadn't I thought of that before. Or if I had thought of it before, how did I forget? Little surprises go on like that. Big ones -- I'm always surprised at how difficult the work is.

PH: What other artistic medium (or non-artistic activity) feeds your creative process?

SJW: I'm also a book artist. I don't typically work on books in parallel with painting, so while I'm working on this series of diptychs, the books are on hiatus. I finished a book last September before starting Red Bean Paste and Apple Pie, and I have another book in the planning stage to be started when I'm finished with the paintings. I find that there are ideas that I want to pursue that work better in the book format or in the painting format, and I love that I can do both.

I also garden. I do an hour or two everyday. I have 1/4 of an acre and it's all garden that I've put in over the last 20 years. Lots of trees, shrubs and some veggies. I don't do a lot of flowers (other than blooming shrubs), and I don't do annuals (except for veggies). I mean, what's the point, really?!



Her Love of Green Vegetables Reaches Mythical Proportions 2012 Gouache & acrylic on paper, mounted on birch panels 12"x24"


PH: What's the first ever piece of art you remember making?

SJW: Depends on what you mean by that. I spent A LOT of hours making really meticulously planned out structures with my blocks. I was maybe 3 or 4. After that, the next significant thing I remember was being the class representative for an art competition. I was maybe in the 2nd grade (non-US readers: about 7 years old). I didn't win. My drawing was an oil pastel about a field trip to the Royal Crown bottling plant (this was in Taiwan).

PH: Finally, and you can answer this in any way that's meaningful to you: why are you an artist?

SJW: I want to make things that make people ponder, like puzzles that people have to put together. I've always been a visual and hands-on person. It's not so far from the block structures I spent hours making. I could've been a gardener, too, I mean by profession. That is also not too far from the blocks. As an artist, I create work so that people have to think. 



If you liked this interview, and you'd like to keep up to date with the series, why not Subscribe, or sign-up via Google Connect, using one of the options over on the right? Thanks, and keep creating.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d