Skip to main content

Six of the Best, Part 29: Stella Untalan

Continuing the interview series in which I pose the same six questions to artists, writers, and other creative people. Today's interview is with Stella Untalan, whose stunning works on paper caught my eye one time on Google Plus. You can see more of her work here.
soundings #2, matte vinyl paint, graphite, and white drafting ink on 22 x 30 Rives BFK White, drawing 6.5" x 13", 2012

PH: What medium do you chiefly use, and why? 


SG: I’ve recently returned to drawing with inks. For the past several years my drawings were made with pastels and graphite. Almost all of my work is on paper, museum quality board or synthetic papers like Yupo. My paper of choice is Rives BFK. I use traditional drawing tools but am very interested in using tools co-opted from untraditional sources. These are essential to discovering different ways to create new mark vocabularies.

PH: What piece are you currently working on?

SG: Right now I have 5 or 6 projects underway--I can’t work on one at a time, it’s not in my nature. I am working on two series of large drawings ( 22 x 30 inches ). Each series consists of nine drawings. I work on an entire series at once. For both of these I’m making tonal rhythms using intaglio inks, creating rhythmic marks with brayers. The results have surprised me. I’m not sure where they are going from here. Then I have a series of collages based the forms and tonal aspects of typography. So far the project name is alphabet collage; there will be at least twenty-six of them. I'm also working on an altered book project, three single sheet books for an exhibition called Ritual, and a plein air drawing under the influence of the river project.
waiting for a wave
ink and pencil on rag vellum : 12" x 6", 2010

PH: What creative surprises are happening in the current work?

SG: I never know what will happen with the drawings. Every mark I make is a surprise. Recently, I've increased the size of my drawings, increasing the space in which I draw. For the past several years many of my drawings haven’t exceeded 14 x 17 so making the leap drawings that take up a 22 x 30 sheet is monumental. Paradoxically, this was spurred by my 2012 drawing-a-day project where small iPhone drawings somehow had a feeling of substantial scale. Moving my current vocabulary to a larger space has been challenging. Now new tools and new marks have found their way into my work. I find myself really drawing without any concern for results, totally caught up in process. I find myself being even more experimental.

PH: What other artistic medium (or non-artistic activity) feeds your creative process?

SG: I’m not a full-time artist. My professional work is information architecture. This feeds my investigations of vocabularies and the referential nature of repetitive marks. I love to read poetry. I find poetry to have a direct relationship with my drawing. I love its rhythm and abstractness.


new unfinished work
intaglio ink and casein paint on 22 x 30 Rives BFK White, 2013

PH: What's the first ever piece of art you remember making?

SG: I’m not sure which was the first but I can remember being reprimanded in grade school, I think I was seven or eight, for drawing when I should have been paying attention to my academic subjects. I would make still life drawings all day long. I also made lots of comic books. I love graphic narrative.

PH: Finally, and you can answer this in any way you want: why are you an artist?

SG: I’m compelled to make art. I don’t necessarily want to make it. I just have to.

If you liked this interview, and you'd like to keep up to date with the series, why not Subscribe, or sign-up via Google Connect, using one of the options over on the right? Thanks, and keep creating.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d