Skip to main content

Six of the Best, Part 31

Continuing the series in which I pose the same six questions to artists of different hue and strip. Today's interviewee is Lynn Tsan. a Chicago artist who has a distinctive way with grids, shapes, and colours. You can see more of her work here.

"Alphabet 5"

Philip Hartigan: What medium/media do you chiefly use, and why?

Lynn Tsan: For the past several years I have been creating digital drawings – hand drawn with a mouse using Adobe Illustrator. I create a graphical square then put another next to it and so on and so forth until the piece is finished. I call them “graphical collages.” I began creating these drawings because I was flat broke and had a computer but not enough money for art supplies. In fact, the first drawing was an attempt to create a black and white business card (color was too expensive to print) that was compelling and beautiful. Forty-five quarter-inch pictures later I had my business card. Sometime later, on a night I couldn’t sleep, I colored the piece and separated it into two. I added those two 25 square, 20” pieces to a series of pastel drawings and sold them both the day before my first gallery show. They are fun to make, exacting, problematic and puzzle-like. So began a of a very long running series of work.

Philip Hartigan: What piece are you currently working on?

Lynn Tsan: I’ve just finished a fifth alphabet. I’m going for six because although I like the alphabet series as 2D prints, I like them as alphabet blocks as well. Six alphabets mean I can create cool combinations of six letter words and switch the letters at will. Also, a new large black and white techno piece – acrylic and light?

Untitled
Philip Hartigan: What creative surprises are happening in the current work?

Lynn Tsan: There’s a next generation in the works. The drawings are taking new form - laser-cut acrylic, steel and light; maybe some other media. Also...Furniture! The first art cabinet was a success. Wallpaper and ceiling art are in the works. Lots of experimentation right now.

Philip Hartigan: What other artistic medium (or non-artistic activity) feeds your creative process?


Lynn Tsan: I’m also a writer who should be writing more. Sometimes I think the art is giving me too good of a reason to not be writing. Dancing and singing at the top of my lungs always loosens me up when my body starts to resemble the shape of a hunchbacked 100-year-old, nearsighted computer hacker.

"Circle Cabinet"

Philip Hartigan: What's the first ever piece of art you remember making?

Lynn Tsan: Not sure. I do remember soaking a piece of paper, smushing around watercolors and watching them bleed, then taking a black pen to the picture when it dried and drawing all the trees I saw in the colors. I was about seven.

Philip Hartigan: Finally, and you can answer this in any way that's meaningful to you: why are you an artist?

Lynn Tsan: I’m an artist because I don’t know how to be anything else. I don’t play well with others. I think out loud and regale people with stories that I think explain a concept beautifully when the poor souls are just trying their damnedest to partake in polite conversation. I care more about the intricate act of solving a aesthetic or conceptual problem than I do about learning how do to something that someone else tells me to do the way they tell me to do it. I’m not very good at following a routine, or directions, for that matter. Creating anything is the act of communicating an idea, fashioning a thing of beauty, solving a problem, explaining a concept. It’s what I do to make sense of the world.

If you liked this interview, and you'd like to keep up to date with the series, why not Subscribe, or sign-up via Google Connect, using one of the options over on the right? Thanks, and keep creating.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d