Skip to main content

Experiments in acrylic resist etching, cont.

Continuing my experiments with different mixtures of acrylic-based resists, I'm getting some idea about which combinations of materials work best in order to print a good image, and to get a clean plate surface around the lines. All of the prints below were taken from re-used 6" x 4" copper plates. The inks are Akua intaglio inks.

The following plate had three layers of dried resists made from GAC 200 and  a few drops of black airbrush ink. The lines were drawn into the dried resist using an etching needle. The print looks remarkably like a hard ground etching, even though no mordant was involved. It's difficult to avoid air bubbles in the GAC 200, though, but I decided to let those stand as part of the texture of the print:



The next plate is the same mixture, the drawing was done with varying pressure of the etching needle, so that part of it looks like en etching, parts of it like a drypoint. Some of the resist dried in tiny ridges that picked up ink in the background. It took a lot of wiping with q-tips to make it look white:

 
 
The next one is a resist of GAC 200 and a little water to thin it before pouring onto the plate. Once it was dry, I prepared a small amount of GAC 200 and half a teaspoon of fine carborundum and drew the figure of the boxer. I drew the lines with an etching needle. I inked the plate à la poupée, using blue-black for the figure and red for the drypoint. Again, I let the ink-trapping air bubbles in the resist become part of the background for the print:


Lastly, this plate was coated with two layers of Lascaux acrylic resist. It's more expensive than GAC 200, but you get what you pay for: it dries very quickly, with much fewer air bubbles (which I am sure I can eliminate completely). I also used the Lascaux with carborundum for the collagraph figure, and it made a very dark tone even though I added a smaller amount of carborundum to the mixture.
 

Next stage: experiment with different strengths of the Lascaux/carborundum mixture to see if it approximates different tones of aquatint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times:

Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage. I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative:


And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:


How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct.


A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these days from websites and YouTube videos. I've also had email exchanges with several pr…