Skip to main content

Day 19: Learning from my mistakes

Well, sometimes you go through a two-day process, and it works, and you get some nice piccies to upload to your blog, and you feel like a very fine fellow.

But sometimes you do something that doesn't quite come off. I decided to post photos of that anyway, as the reasons why I decided not to follow this up, at least for the moment, are also part of my process (or 'prah-sesss' as they say here in Chicago.)

Over the weekend, I took one of the xeroxes of last week's Sharpie drawings, and coated it with a layer of Clear Tar Gel:

That glistening you see is the layer of gel (which stinks, by the way: if you use this stuff, make sure you have adequate ventilation or you can close it up in its own room).

I let it dry overnight, then I immersed the coated xerox for about 30 seconds in a tray of warm water:

That loosened the paper fibres (or fibers, as they say in Chicago), enabling me to do the next stage:

... which was, to flip the thing over so that the dried acrylic skin was facing down and the soaked xerox paper was facing up. Next, I began rubbing with my fingertips, and then with a rag, until the paper fibres started to loosen from the skin.

The main thing is to rub hard enough so that the paper comes loose, but not so hard that you rub away the transferred lines.

Well, I did that for about 15 minutes, until most of the fibres were rubbed away, and I was left with a piece of transparent acrylic with a drawing embedded in its surface.

And, after looking at it for a while, I thought to myself: Well, unless I'm going to colour this transfer before I glue it to the canvas, which I probably won't do, what does this process give me that I couldn't achieve just by drawing the damn image onto the canvas?

It took me two days to realise that I wasn't going to use this process. But I don't consider that it was wasted time. Sometimes you can work on something for months, before putting it aside because it doesn't work for some reason. You can only come to that point, thought, by going through the experiment in the first place.

Subscribe to Praeterita in a reader

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring my Printing Press

I've just finished restoring and assembling my large etching press -- a six week process involving lots of rust removal, scrubbing with steel wool, and repainting. Here is a photo of the same kind of press from the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative: And here is a short YouTube video of me testing the press, making sure the motor still works after nearly seven years of lying in storage:

Brancusi in Plastic

Artist Mary Ellen Croteau is showing these columns made from recycled plastic cartons and lids in the window of the Columbia College bookstore on Michigan Avenue. They are a playful homage to Brancusi's "Endless Columns", with a serious environmental message for our times: Image copyright Inhabitat.com and Mary Ellen Croteau Mary Ellen also runs a wonderful experimental art gallery in a window space in west Chicago, called Art on Armitage . I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece there during August 2012.

How to etch a linoleum block

Linoleum as a material for printmaking has been used for nearly a hundred years now. Normally, you cut an image out using special gouges similar to woodcut tools, cutting away the lino around the image you want to print. This is called relief printmaking, because if you look at the block from the side, the material that remains stands up in relief from the backing material. You then roll ink with a brayer over the surface of the block, place paper over it, and either print by hand or run it through a press. You can do complex things this way (for example, reduction linocuts), but the beauty of the process is that it is quick, simple, and direct. Incised lino block, from me.redith.com Etched lino block, from Steve Edwards A few years ago, I saw some prints that were classified as coming from etched linoleum blocks, and I loved the textures I saw in them. In the last few months, I've been trying to use this technique in my own studio, learning about it as one does these d