Friday, April 19, 2013

Handmade books with students

Last week in the Journal and Sketchbook class that I teach at Columbia College Chicago, I showed the students how to make four different kinds of artist's book: the accordion fold, the start fold, a folio from a single sheet of paper, and simple pamphlet stitch in a paper signature.

Click to embiggen
I also loaded the table with sheets of handmade paper from my studio -- Japanese papers, Indonesian papers, Thai papers -- plus glue sticks, cardboard, needle and thread, and lots of crayons and watercolours to add images to the books that they created. This is the third year that my co-teacher and I have devoted an afternoon to this activity, and it always gives the students new thoughts about their final written and visual projects, which are due in four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails